A group from the hosiery industry asks Catawba Valley Community College to develop a training center for workers.
The center is established as the Hosiery Technology Center (HTC) in partnership with Catawba Valley Community College.
Working with industry partners, the HTC identifies product testing and standards needs. The HTC creats a Standards and Testing Lab in September to provide third-party testing results and to validate commercial product claims.
As the Center expands to support furniture and other industry groups, in September the Hosiery Technology Center changes its name to the Manufacturing Solutions Center.
The Manufacturing Solutions Center moves to a new 30,000 sq. ft. facility in Conover, NC, which includes an incubator for manufacturing startups.
The Manufacturing Solutions Center expands into a second building in Conover. The 75,000 sq. ft. Manufacturing Solutions Center II expands the Center’s knitting capabilities, adds a state-of-the-art seaming line, adds a non-textile prototyping lab and serves as the operating home for companies that graduate from the Center’s incubator.
Business Incubation Opportunities
If you have a great product idea and are ready to be your own boss, then the Manufacturing Solutions Center Business Incubation space is right for you. Manufacturing Solutions Center has the following assets to assist you in developing your product and getting it to market:
- Prototyping/product Enhancement Resources
- Product Testing: We test for over 1050 companies including major retailers, brands and manufacturers worldwide.
- Marketing: In-house resources for websites, brochures, catalogs and creation of packaging materials. We also have extensive trade show experience.
- Distribution: Contact with logistic resources to efficiently and cost-effectively move your product.
- Exporting Assistance
Our strength is helping you get your product to market ASAP.
At the Manufacturing Solutions Testing Center, we operate differently from most labs. We invite customer interaction so you know what the test is and what the results mean. If you need help understanding something, just ask. Better yet, come to the lab and we can show you in person. We have developed a reputation for strict confidentiality along with fast, accurate results using industry-approved methods.
- Fiber Analysis, Identification and Construction Tests Available
- Antimicrobial Tests Available
- Upholstery Tests Available
- Colorfastness Tests Available
- Compression Tests Available
- Abrasion Resistance Tests Available
- Pill and Snag Tests Available
- Stretch Tests Available
- Tensile, Burst, Tear and Seam Strength
Our testing capabilities are always evolving! If there is a certain test method you need that is not on our request form, please feel free to reach out to one of the following individuals:
Jodi Geis, Lab Manager: 828.327.7000 ext 4115
Shane Lynch, Lab Manager: 828.327.7000 ext 4146
Whether you are an inventor, entrepreneur or an existing brand, there are four different intake forms to work with us, depending on the type of product that you want to produce:
3D modeling: We can use CAD software to model your products and ideas. We can also turn those models into full-scale reality.
Reverse Engineering: By using the resources of NCCET, our 3D modeling and printing capabilities; we can help you create a model from most anything.
Product Development: We can turn your ideas into full-scale reality.
Fabric Product Development and Prototyping: We can prototype products using small diameter sock knitting equipment. Check our knitting capabilities and specs at hosetech.com/knitting-lab.html. Our customers include fiber, spinners and filament producers for product analysis and enhancement.
- We work with entrepreneurs to develop their ideas into products.
- We assist manufacturers in evaluating and enhancing their product lines.
- We assist retail in improving or expanding their lines.
If we can assist you, fill out our hosiery application.
We have a strategic partnership with the North Carolina Center for Engineering Technologies (NCCET). The NCCET provides facilities for applied research in engineering-related fields and serves as a conduit to baccalaureate education delivered by the University of North Carolina system schools.
Conceived as a community-supported higher education effort in technical and engineering disciplines, this Center was established through a collaboration of business, government and higher education organized as the Future Forward Economic Alliance. The Center may collaborate with other schools to bring the best regional programs to meet employment needs. Their capabilities include:
- State-of-the-art CNC metal processing equipment
- Engineering Computer Lab
- Rapid Prototyping
- Laser Cutting
- Laser Scanning
- Complete Plastics Lab
3D Printing – Rapid Prototyping: We have a Raise 3D Pro2 Plus and Markforged Mark 2. We also do 3D scanning using our EinScan.
3D Visualization: By using high-end 3D visualization software we can help bring your ideas to life. Beginning with a CAD Model, we can help you display your product in several formats – from wireframe to a photo-realistic rendering
Plant Layout: We use lean manufacturing principles in assisting you with planning efficient plant layout.
Rapid Prototyping: Using combinations of technologies, CAD software and our partnership with NCCET, we can quickly help move your product from concept to reality. By offering a range of materials and processes, we can help reduce your development cycle significantly.
- Polymers Lab – NCCET: This lab contains equipment for plastics processing including: Vacuum/Thermoforming, Injection Molding, Rotational Molding, Extrusion Molding and Blow Molding.
- Rapid Prototype Realization Lab – NCCET: Using state-of-the-art 3-axis computer numerically controlled (CNC) metal processing equipment, this lab will prove design concepts and production processes. The lab provides the latest in automated equipment for product realization and production. Sophisticated interfaces utilizing SmartCAM, SolidEdge or similar software will maximize the efficiency of moving from concept to product.
- Patternmaking Laboratory – NCCET: This lab contains equipment for making patterns, fixtures and molds for the plastics processing equipment. Equipped with Powermatic equipment, this laboratory is dedicated primarily to wood and plaster fixturing, moldmaking and patternmaking. Some polymer casting will take place in this laboratory.
- Order NAHM Forms – Foot forms for socks
- Hosiery 101/102 Class – Covers the basics of hosiery knitting, the dyeing, finishing, and testing quality of the manufacturing process
- Sock and Sheer Hosiery – Sourcing information for sock or hosiery
- Hosiery Glossary – Hosiery terminology
- Legsource.com – For hosiery specific offering
- M1 Stoll Training – Flatbed Knitting and M1 Plus Programming Training
- Legwear Development for Entrepreneurs
- Hosiery FAQs – Hosiery Frequently Asked Questions
- Legwear Testing Guidelines – Testing guidelines for legwear, hosiery and socks testing
Incubator Mgr. and Special Projects Director
PPE and Anti-Microbial Lab Manager
Textile R & D Specialist
What Customers are Saying
Click HERE to hear what our industry partners are saying about us.